Interagency Committee on Administrative Rules (ICAR)
- Administrative Procedures Act (APA) and the Office of the Secretary of State
- Forms for Submitting Administrative Rules: Please note that the Secretary of State does not accept out of date forms (last version: January 10, 2023). They request that the most recent forms for filing Administrative Rules be used from their website at https://sos.vermont.gov/secretary-of-state-services/apa-rules/apa-forms/.
- ICAR typically meets the 2nd Monday of every month (subject to change). The location will be noted on the agenda.
- Physical meeting location suspended until July 1, 2024, due to Open Meeting Law temporary provisions.
Meetings currently scheduled are listed below and information to join may be found in the agenda.
- Meetings are posted on the Department of Libraries website and named 'Interagency of Administrative Rules (ICAR) - Agency of Administration' or 'Agency of Administration'.
Please reference 3 V.S.A. § 801 for definitions. Please be sure proposed rules are signed by the appropriate "Appointing authority", as stated in #11:
(11) "Adopting authority" means, for agencies which are attached to the Agencies of Administration, of Development and Community Affairs, of Natural Resources, of Human Services, and of Transportation, or any of their components, the secretaries of those agencies; for agencies attached to other departments or any of their components, the commissioners of those departments; and for other agencies, the chief officer of the agency. However, for the procedural rules of boards with quasi-judicial powers, for the Transportation Board, for the Vermont Veterans' Memorial Cemetery Advisory Board, and for the Fish and Wildlife Board, the chair or executive secretary of the board shall be the adopting authority. The Secretary of State shall be the adopting authority for the Office of Professional Regulation.
Proposed Rules can be sent electronically:
- Before proposed rules can be submitted to ICAR, they must be sent to the appropriate agency/department's Governor's liaison, as well as other agencies and departments affected by the proposed rule.
- One complete, combined PDF for each proposed rule needs to be emailed at least 10 business days prior to the meeting.
- List of names and contact information including email address and Agency/Department of all who plan on attending the meeting and indicate those who would like to attend in person when available.
- Please email proposed rule(s) and contact information to the Office of the Secretary of Administration to Melissa Mazza-Paquette (email@example.com).
After the ICAR meeting:
- Draft minutes will be posted within five days after the meeting. They will be emailed to ICAR members, the Secretary of State's office, and those who provided their name and email address to the Secretary of Administration's office prior to the meeting. The draft minutes will be posted below. Once the draft minutes are voted on at the following ICAR meeting, the draft will be replaced with the final approved minutes.
- You may use the cover page of the minutes, along with your prospective proposed rule recommendation page(s) from the minutes in the filing for the Secretary of State's office. This will satisfy the documentation necessary to move the rule forward when filing with LCAR (i.e., the "ICAR Approval Letter or Memo" required).
Current list of ICAR members:
- Sean Brown, Agency of Administration, CHAIR
- Nicole Dubuque, Agency of Agriculture, Food & Markets
- John Kessler, Agency of Commerce & Community Development
- Vacant, Agency of Education
- Brendan Atwood, Agency of Human Services
- Jennifer Mojo, Agency of Natural Resources
- Michael Obuchowski, Agency of Transportation
- Diane Sherman, Department of Financial Regulation
- Jared Adler, Department of Labor
Please note meeting dates and times are subject to change.
2023 ICAR Meetings
Monday, July 10, 2023, 2:00 PM: Cancelled
Monday, October 9, 2023, 2:00 PM: Agenda, Minutes
Monday, November 13, 2023, 2:00 PM: Agenda, Minutes,
Monday, December 11, 2023, 2:00 PM: Agenda, Minutes
2022 ICAR Meetings
Monday, 02/14/22, 2:00 PM: Cancelled
Wednesday, 7/20/22, 2:00 PM Special Meeting: Cancelled
2021 ICAR Meetings
Monday, January 11, 2021: Cancelled
2020 ICAR Meetings
Monday, April 13, 2020: CANCELLED
Friday, October 9, 2020 Agenda: CANCELLED
2019 ICAR Meetings
Monday, June 10, 2019: Cancelled
2018 ICAR Meetings
October 8, 2018: Canceled