Interagency Committee on Administrative Rules (ICAR)
- Secretary of State Information
- ICAR typically meets the 2nd Monday of every month at 2:00 p.m. in the Pavilion Building at 109 State Street in Montpelier, in either the conference room on the 4th or 5th floor. The location will be noted on the agenda.
- Meetings are posted on the Libraries website and named 'Agency of Administration'.
Please reference 3 V.S.A. § 801 for definitions. Please be sure proposed rules are signed by the appropriate "Appointing authority", as stated in #11:
(11) "Adopting authority" means, for agencies which are attached to the Agencies of Administration, of Development and Community Affairs, of Natural Resources, of Human Services, and of Transportation, or any of their components, the secretaries of those agencies; for agencies attached to other departments or any of their components, the commissioners of those departments; and for other agencies, the chief officer of the agency. However, for the procedural rules of boards with quasi-judicial powers, for the Transportation Board, for the Vermont Veterans' Memorial Cemetery Advisory Board, and for the Fish and Wildlife Board, the chair or executive secretary of the board shall be the adopting authority. The Secretary of State shall be the adopting authority for the Office of Professional Regulation.
- Before proposed rules can be submitted to ICAR, they must be sent to the appropriate agency/department's Governor's liason, as well as other agencies and departments affected by the proposed rule.
Proposed Rules can be sent one of two ways:
- Electronically (preferred method): One complete, combined PDF for each proposed rule needs to be emailed at least 10 business days prior to the meeting. OR
- Paper copies: Proposed Rules need to be sent at least 15 business days prior to the meeting. The packet must contain 1 Original and 10 Copies.
- List of names and contact information including email address and Agency/Department of all who plan on attending the meeting. This information is necessary to be cleared through Security. You will need to show photo identification upon arrival and will be issued a badge to enter the meeting.
- Please email proposed rule(s) and contact information to the Office of the Secretary of Administration. If you prefer to send paper copies, please email prior to sending packet of information and mail or drop off packet.
- Melissa Mazza-Paquette (email@example.com); Secretary of Administration, Pavillion Building, 109 State Street, 5th Floor, Montpelier, VT 05609-0201
After the ICAR meeting:
- Draft minutes will be posted within five days after the meeting. They will be emailed to ICAR members, the Secretary of State's office, and those who provided their name and email address to the Secretary of Administration's office prior to the meeting. The draft minutes will be posted here. Once the draft minutes are voted on at the following ICAR meeting, the draft will be replaced with the final approved minutes.
- You may use the cover page of the minutes, along with your prospective proposed rule recommendation page(s) from the minutes in the filing for the Secretary of State's office. This will satisfy the documentation necessary to move the rule forward when filing with LCAR (i.e. the "ICAR Approval Letter or Memo" required).
Current list of ICAR members:
- Brad Ferland, Deputy Secretary of Administration, CHAIR
- Steve Knudson, Department of Financial Regulation
- Dirk Anderson, Department of Labor
- Ashley Berliner, Agency of Human Services
- Diane Bothfeld, Agency of Agriculture
- John Kessler, Agency of Commerce & Community Development
- Matthew Langham, Agency of Transportation
- Jennifer Mojo, Agency of Natural Resources
- Clare O’Shaughnessy, Agency of Education
Please note meeting dates and times are subject to change.
- Monday, January 14, 2019 Agenda Minutes
- Monday, February 11, 2019 Agenda Minutes
- Monday, March 11, 2019 Agenda Minutes
- Monday, April 8, 2019 Agenda Minutes
- Monday, May 13, 2019 Agenda Minutes
- Monday, June 10, 2019 Agenda Minutes
- Monday, July 8, 2019 Agenda Minutes
- Monday, August 12, 2019 Agenda Minutes
- Monday, September 9, 2019 Agenda Minutes
- Monday, October 14, 2019 Agenda Minutes
- Wednesday, November 13, 2019 Agenda Minutes
- Monday, December 9, 2019 Agenda Minutes
- January 8, 2018 Agenda Minutes
- February 12, 2018 Agenda Minutes
- March 19, 2018 Agenda Minutes
- April 9, 2018 Agenda Minutes
- April 12, 2018 Agenda Minutes
- May 14, 2018 Agenda Minutes
- June 18, 2018 Agenda Minutes
- July 9, 2018 Agenda Minutes
- August 13, 2018 Agenda Minutes
- September 10, 2018 Agenda Minutes
- October 8, 2018 Canceled
- November 19, 2018 Agenda Minutes
- December 10, 2018 Agenda Minutes
- December 11, 2017 Agenda Minutes
- November 13, 2017 Agenda Minutes
- October 9, 2017 Agenda Minutes
- September 11, 2017 Agenda Minutes
- August 14, 2017 Agenda Minutes
- July 28, 2017 Agenda Mintues
- July 10, 2017 Agenda Minutes